Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday # 3

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week you have to make your own Top Ten list. This week the "question" is: 
Top Ten Favorite Beginnings/Endings in Books


Beginnings
1. Fracture by Megan Miranda
"The first time I died, I didn't see God."
2. The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
"Gram is worried about me. It's not because my sister Bayley died four weeks ago, or because my mother hasn't contacted me in sixteen years, or even because suddenly all I think about is sex. She is worried about me because one of her houseplants has spots."
(Not the opening line) "Prim named him Buttercup, insisting that his muddy yellow coat matched the bright flower. He hates me. Or at least distrusts me. Even though it was years ago, I think he still remembers how I tried to drown him in a bucket when Prim brought him home."
4. Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan
"When I was little, my dad used to tell me, 'Will, you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose'"

5. Paranormalcy by Kiersten White
"'Wait - did you - You just yawned!' The vampire's arms, raised over his head in the classic Dracula pose, dropped to his sides. He pulled his exaggerated white fangs back behind his lips. 'What, imminent death isn't exciting enough for you?'"


Endings
~ These are the last few lines of the following books, so it may include spoilers. Consider yourself warned! ~
1. The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
"This is what I knew: I was trapped in my body, in that bed, at that moment. But even as I looked out through the windows of my eyes, through the bars of my prison, I knew I wouldn't be trapped forever. They rattled my cage to see if I'd bite. When they released me, they'd see that the answer was yes."

"I retrieved my journal from the bag lying in the grass and wrote only four words. A reminder for days even more difficult than this one. Because truth is ... even though I have no idea what comes next ... at least for today ....
I have no regrets."
3. Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles
"'And for those of you who want to start any trouble, I have a zero tolerance policy ...'" 
4. Before I fall by Lauren Oliver
"I'm not scared, if that's what you're wondering. The moment of death is full of sound and warmth and light, so much light it fills me, absorbs me: a tunnel of light shooting away, arcing up and up, and if singing were a feeling it would be this, this light, this lifting, like laughing ....
The rest you have to find out for yourself." 
5. The Beginning of After by Jennifer Castle
"As I pulled out of the driveway and pointed the car down the hill, I looked at the house one more time. A wide, swallowing look, like I could take one more gulp and I'd have everything I needed to take with me.
Then I closed my eyes.
That was it. That was Before. Now here we go into After."



1 comment:

  1. I loved the beginning of Fracture too. Great choices.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your time to comment on my blog. You have no idea how much it means to me. :-D

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...