Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Title: Hourglass (Hourglass #1)
Author: Myra McEntire
390 pages, June 14th 2011, Egmont USA
Goodreads' synopsis: "One hour to rewrite the past . . .
For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.
So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may also change her past.
Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should've happened?"
I have a thing for time travel.
I've said it before, and I'm going to say it again: I love books about time traveling. It fascinates me so much, and I love to read and hear how others think it might work. Hourglass wasn't specifically about time traveling, in fact it didn't happen until later in it, but it did have what they call "rips", which to Emerson is kind of like ghosts; people from the past who show up, but she's the only one who can see them. I really liked this combination and am excited about the second book in the series: Timepiece. 
There weren't really any of the characters that I didn't like, even the mean ones had some sort of quality that made them interesting. Michael was definitely hard to figure out, sometimes I would hate him, other times I would love him. Guys. So hard to figure out. 
Emerson wasn't really a memorable narrator, compared to "The Distance Between Us"'s Caymen, whom I though was hilarious and super relatable, but to me that happens a lot, so it really isn't a problem anymore. One thing I'm sad about is how we don't hear about Lily, Emerson's best friend. She shows up once in a while, and all of a sudden two thirds into the book, we learn this big secret about her, and then that's it. I'm really disappointed that we didn't hear more, but I guess that's why there is a number two and three in the trilogy, right? 
Although I have started to really hate love triangles, I feel like this trilogy might be one of the only ones where I am going to have a hard time choosing sides. I definitely love Michael, but umph Kaleb isn't too bad either. Now that I think about it, I don't think I have ever not been able to choose. 
I pretty much just loved it and am waiting impatiently to be able to read the second one!
Want to know more about the book?
Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide
 Click to see Hourglass on Goodreads   Click to see Hourglass on Amazon.com
 Second and third book in the Hourglass trilogy:
 Click to see Timepiece on Goodreads        Click to see Infinityglass on Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to comment on my blog. You have no idea how much it means to me. :-D

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...