Thursday, April 18, 2013

Dare You To by Katie McGarry


>> MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS FROM PUSHING THE LIMITS <<

Title: Dare You To (Pushing the Limits #2)
Author: Katie McGarry
462 pages, May 28th 2013, Harlequin Teen
Goodreads' synopsis: "If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk's home life, they'd send her mother to jail and seventeen-year-old Beth who knows where. So she protects her mom at all costs. Until the day her uncle swoops in and forces Beth to choose between her mom's freedom and her own happiness. That's how Beth finds herself living with an aunt who doesn't want her and going to a school that doesn't understand her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn't get her, but does....
Ryan Stone is the town golden boy, a popular baseball star jock-with secrets he can't tell anyone. Not even the friends he shares everything with, including the constant dares to do crazy things. The craziest? Asking out the Skater girl who couldn't be less interested in him. But what begins as a dare becomes an intense attraction neither Ryan nor Beth expected. Suddenly, the boy with the flawless image risks his dreams-and his life-for the girl he loves, and the girl who won't let anyone get too close is daring herself to want it all..."

When I saw "Pushing the Limits" for the first time I read the synopsis and thought it sounded okay, but I was kind of turned off by the cover, so I put it back. But then I went back to it, because I couldn't get the synopsis out of my mind and gave it a shot.
I am so happy I gave it the benefit of a doubt! I really enjoy reading love stories where you get to see the story through both the boy's and the girl's point of view. I loved Noah and Echo story in "Pushing the Limits" and Beth and Ryan's story in this book was just as great.
I think the cover is just as bad as "Pushing the Limits"'s, if not worse, but you should "never judge a book on it's cover", right?

It was a really nice and quick read and I had a lot of fun. I did shed a tear at some point, but that always makes it better to me.
Beth's story was really heartbreaking. The whole story with her mom was just so sad and you just wanted her to leave, but then at the same time understood why she couldn't.
I loved how Beth grew throughout the book. How she got smarter and opened up a lot more. I feel like Katie made us think that she was going to end up with Isaiah in the first book and I really liked the two of them together, but after reading this book I am definitely team Ryan.
Scott was a great uncle to Beth, and I am really happy that he came into her life again. I loved hearing about how he was there for her, when she was younger.
Ryan's part of the story kind of reminded me of Brittany's from "Perfect Chemistry". His family was perfect to the outside world, but on the inside it was breaking apart, his mom and dad could barely speak to each other and his brother had left, because he wasn't accepted in the family.
And then the dare! Ugh! I hate it when they do that in books. I mean, I love to read about it, but can't help hating them a little bit while reading.
Now that I think of it that reminds me of "Perfect Chemistry" too, but that is not a bad thing, because I didn't notice the resemblance while reading it and to me it's not that big of a resemblance either.

So all in all I really liked the story and the characters, and it was really nice to hear from Echo and Noah again, too.
You can easily read this book before reading "Pushing the Limits", but I would recommend reading the other one first, because it's always fun to meet the characters from the previous book again.

More about the book:
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to comment on my blog. You have no idea how much it means to me. :-D

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...